Warning: include_once(/home/thefake/traveltrue/wp-content/plugins/wordpress-support/wordpress-support.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/thefake/traveltrue/wp-settings.php on line 305

Warning: include_once(): Failed opening '/home/thefake/traveltrue/wp-content/plugins/wordpress-support/wordpress-support.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php:/usr/local/php5/lib/pear') in /home/thefake/traveltrue/wp-settings.php on line 305

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thefake/traveltrue/wp-settings.php:305) in /home/thefake/traveltrue/wp-content/plugins/si-contact-form/si-contact-form.php on line 1997

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/thefake/traveltrue/wp-settings.php:305) in /home/thefake/traveltrue/wp-content/plugins/si-contact-form/si-contact-form.php on line 1997
How To Get Free High Speed Internet Anywhere In The World | Travel True
Travel True Rotating Header Image

How To Get Free High Speed Internet Anywhere In The World

Such power in the palm of your hand!

I recently covered all of the eBook options out there right now, and came to the conclusion that the Kindle was the best eBook reader for travelers. Now Amazon just released a new Kindle that’s smaller, faster, cheaper, lighter, has more memory and a higher contrast screen. They’ve pretty much checked off everything on my Kindle wishlist except for a higher resolution screen.

As an added bonus, they’ve upped the antenna to 3G. This means you can go anywhere in the world and get a high-speed internet connection. Free.

Let me repeat that. Free high-speed mobile internet anywhere you go. Twitter, Facebook, Wikipedia, the only thing it can’t do is video. This alone will pay for itself in the first week you have it by avoiding ridiculous roaming fees or having to find expensive SIM cards and internet connections in awkward places.

This means that you have no more excuse not to get a Kindle. It just became an indispensable piece of travel technology.

Related posts:

9 Comments

1. Niels Bom says:

Is that really true?
    I see “Amazon provides wireless connectivity free of charge to you for certain content shopping and downloading services on your Device.” at http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200399690wireless

Where did you read that Twitter/Facebook etc fall into the category of “content shopping and downloading services”?

2. Chris Dame says:

That’s a great catch, Niels.
    While those legal caveats have been in place for a while now, in reality it’s just a protection from people hacking the device to tether to their computer. They charge for providing some services like emailing books to your computer or reading RSS feeds, though you can avoid them by going directly to the web browser. I have been doing this on my Kindle for years now, and I’ve never gotten a single charge. The browser even comes with stock bookmarks like BBC, CNN, and AllRecipes.
    The web browsing experience isn’t top of the line, but for free access anywhere, it’s great to have. Check out this quick video of what the browsing experience is like on the Kindle if you want to see more.
    Thanks for the comment!

3. Niels Bom says:

Ok, then it’s very cool!

And, just to be sure, you have used those services *outside* of the US right?

Thanks for the info!

4. Chris Dame says:

To be completely honest, I currently own the older version that only works in America. I usually load up books using the cable (for free classic novels Project Gutenberg is a great source) or just buying them while I’m in the country.
    However, I do have several friends with the international version who tipped me off to the fact that you can surf free internationally. As I wrote about before, one friend in Shanghai discovered you can even circumvent the government censorship by using the Kindle.
    I’ve ordered the new one already, as I am headed to China shortly after it ships. I’m excited.

5. […] it up to see if you care about the new features. Every now and then, like I discovered with the Kindle, it becomes completely worth […]

6. Just bought one for… a birthday coming up 😉
    I used your link I hope that means you get PAID! =P

7. Chris Dame says:

Thanks so much! I really appreciate it, and I hope your… friend… enjoys the Kindle as much as I have. It’s really changed how I read and travel.

8. […] already written an article about the Kindle (and an update for the newest version), so I will keep this brief. You can keep an entire library of books in this […]

9. Dave C says:

I use my Kindle to access internet out here in Afghanistan. I am based in the middle of the desert. It is also relatively quick all things considered.